Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Little Ones -- Birds & Ducks, that is....


These "Little Ones" are favorites with a lot of people. These are  wonderful little 3"x4" pieces.  I developed the series because I really wanted everyone to have a chance to have a piece of Sandra White. Since then, I have a few collectors who email me with this years new designs. They are helping me to decide what's next, but watching their feeders and letting me know what they have seen. I have found that only a few miles away can change what bird you have at the feeder.


The one challenge with these smaller pieces is that there is little room to make mistakes on color or design. It sometimes takes really tiny pieces to get that little bit of orange or green somewhere where it will be important in the whole picture. And then you step back and find it IS in the wrong place.  Try again....



The goldfinch is probably one of the best examples of the little bits in the right place. The wing is particularly challenging. And every time I do another one, the color location may change just a little -- that is because I think it is getting better.  But, you know, every bird is a little different, too. I guess the quilled picture depends on which bird is posing for me.




Then along came the Hummingbirds. There are so many different hummingbirds. We see the ruby throated hummingbird, so that was my choice for a design.







The other decision was what to do for a "scene" behind the bird......or is it in front?  This hummingbird is wonderful just flying, so he has no scene......this time!



Next time I will show you the Little Ones Ducks.....................

Take Time to Enjoy the Little Things.....




I invite you to view Ellen Morrow's bonanza booth..........beautiful work. I really love her herons.
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/EllenMorrowArts


I also have my own booth there.....nice site to explore:
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/SandyW

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for joining...........